Jeffrey R. Brosbe: In Memoriam October 30, 1945-April 24, 2021
In memory of artist Jeffrey R. Brosbe the La Jolla Art Association will be hosting a reception honoring his life and work.
We also would like to thank Yung Chieng Wang (Arthur) for graciously allowing us to display Jeffrey’s work and for allowing the sale of his work.
Jeffrey’s work will be on exhibit in the Great Room through June 29 at the La Jolla Community Center. The name of this installation is“Arboreal Impressions”. There will also be an installation of many of his other colorful travel photographs in two other areas of the Center through the month of July. These photographs reveal Jeffrey’s work spanning many years and destinations in which he artfully captured the profound beauty, light, and lives of India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, China. Tibet, Egypt, and Israel.
Reception date: Friday, June 18, 2021
Time: 1 PM to 4 PM.
Refreshments and light appetizers will be served.
Place: La Jolla Community Center 6811 La Jolla Blvd, La Jolla, CA 92037
Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Please observe the Center protocols: Vaccine or current Covid Test. Masks.
Note: the online exhibition of Jeffrey's work will continue through July.
Other than his passion for photography Jeffrey was an avid student of archeology and history (UCLA) and was a literature instructor at San Dieguito High School in Encinitas where he taught for 33 years starting at the young age of 23.
For years he actively served on the board of the La Jolla Art Association, the Allied Artists Association of San Diego, and the Off Track Gallery. His archival photographic prints have been selected in international juried exhibitions; national juried exhibitions in museums, colleges, and universities; and juried exhibitions throughout San Diego County, winning special recognition and awards in almost all of them.
In 1997 he was chosen by the City of Carlsbad Arts Commission as one of the first to do a major installation. His most recent honors include being selected by Black and White magazine for the 2017 Single Image Awards issue and given the special recognition award by the Photo Arts Group for work submitted to the International Exhibition of Photography in Del Mar (California) in 2016.
He says: “Visually, my work is built around shape, light, and shadow. The essence of my images however are moments in time which, in their contemplation, communicate my personal response to the world which is sometimes a wry, ironic smile; at others awestruck; and sometimes in a realm between these poles. The creation of an image is the same as the creation of a Haiku: It should be whole and meaningful in itself while providing greater insight when pondered further.” See more at jeffreyrbrosbe.com
Since he began to offer his work to the public in 1994, Jeffrey R. Brosbe has had the following solo exhibitions:
- "SCAPES: landscapes, urbanscapes, mindscapes" -- Jeffrey R. Brosbe-photographer & Julianne Ricksecker-print maker, Gallery 21, Spanish Village, Balboa Park, August 7 - 27, 2018
- "NOUNS -- The Photography of Jeffrey R. Brosbe & Nicole Caulfield" -- Allied Artist Association of San Diego, La Jolla , CA - May 28 - July 30, 2016
- "Web Site Featured Artist" San Diego Museum of Art Artists Guild - June 2016
- "Photography of Jeffrey R. Brosbe" -- Redwood Bridge Club, San Diego, CA - June, 2016
- "More of the Eclectic Eye" -- The Photography of Jeffrey R. Brosbe, Gallery 21, Spanish Village, Balboa Park, August 14 - 25, 2016
- "Photography of Jeffrey R. Brosbe" -- Redwood Bridge Club, San Diego, CA - May, 2015
- "Eclectic Eyes" -- The Photography of Alo Munzzia & Jeffrey R. Brosbe, Gallery 21, Spanish Village, Balboa Park, April 11 - 23,2012
- "Natural Fantasies" – Encinitas Civic Center Gallery, Encinitas, CA, May 1 – 31, 2007
- "The Greatest Compliment" – San Diego Art Institute, Dec 7 ‘06 – Jan 7 ‘07
- "Arboreal Impressions" – Metro Gallery, Reno, NV, Sept 26 – Nov 18, 2005
- "Me, Me Mind, Me Town" – San Diego Art Institute, Sept 8 – Oct 9, 2005
- "Jeffrey R. Brosbe – Photography" – Merced College Art Gallery, 2/ 23 – 3/18, 2004
- "Arboreal Impressions" – San Diego Art Institute, July 3 – August 3, 2003
- "Urbanscapes & Reflections" – The Maturango Museum, Ridgecrest (CA), 5/10 – 6/5, 2002
- "Architectural Abstracts" – FireHouse Gallery, Grants Pass, OR, Aug 1 – Sept 1, 2001
- "Urbanscapes" – College of the Sequoias Art Gallery, Nov 7 – Dec 9, 2000
- "Faces, Faces, Faces" - Bard Hall Gallery, San Diego, CA, April, 1999
- "Haiku Images" - Off Track Gallery, Encinitas, CA, June, 1998
- "Patterns: Natural & Not" - Bard Hall Gallery, San Diego, CA, March, 1998
- City of Carlsbad (California) Installation - March 4 - August 25, 1997
Jeffrey R. Brosbe has been exhibited more than 50 times both nationally and internationally.
Here is a selection of juried exhibitions into which his images have been shown: